Welcome to the second of our quick news updates for volunteer managers. If you missed the first one, click here to see it.
In this edition:
- Level 2 Award in Health & Safety in the Workplace
- Free Web Hosting for Charities
- LGBT Older People
- Women in The Criminal Justice System – Conference 1st July 2009
This one day course provides a recognised qualification that will enable learners to work or volunteer safely and to recognise and deal with hazards in the workplace
The Course will cover:
- Hazards & Risks
- Relevant Legislation
- Practical control measures
- Awareness of own safety
- Safety of others
We are delighted to offer this “free” 1 day learning opportunity in conjunction with Derbyshire Learning & Development Consortium – this is a fantastic opportunity for you to ensure your organisation or group is operating safely and has a suitably qualified representative.
- Monday 29th June 9.00am – 4.00pm
- South Derbyshire CVS Meeting Room
- All resources and refreshments included
To book a place or for further information please contact: Chris Wagstaff on 01283 219761, firstname.lastname@example.org
Pete Edwards from Erewash CVS has let me know about this one.
He telephoned LCN.com and discovered that a local Pre-School Playgroup qualifies for a free domain and free hosting package. This saves them £7.50 + VAT and £50.00 + VAT respectively. He found this offer by accident and there seem to be no hidden catches.
If your charity has an existing domain name they will help you transfer it and register it for you at absolutely no cost for 2 years. But, if you are registering a domain name for the first time, one of their friendly and experienced sales representatives will be happy to guide you through the process of securing your web name and get you up and running in minutes.
This came through from Katy Pugh at Age Concern Derby and Derbyshire
Age Concern is part of a national Equalities and Human Rights Project empowering older people to understand human rights better and challenge abuses of their rights more effectively.
We are working with older LGB&T people and their carers and need to get a group together 4 times over the next two years. For obvious reasons this is not proving easy!
Please could you circulate this amongst your groups, staff, volunteers etc and encourage people to participate? The meetings are in Derby, where many social groups already meet, and we are working with local LGB&T support groups so the meetings will be friendly, accessible and safe.
The first meeting is on the 7th July but if people can’t make that day but still want to participate then they would be very welcome to join the project anyway.
Thanks very much for your help with this; this project could be really worthwhile at tackling inequalities and empowering older communities.
Women in the Criminal Justice System – Addressing their Needs
Full Day Working Conference
Statistics show that:-
- 50% of women in prison have been victims of violent or sexual abuse
- 70% of women in the Criminal Justice System have substance misuse problems
- 80% have some level of mental health problem
- Around 18,000 children are separated from their mothers by imprisonment each year
- 20% of women in prison had no permanent accommodation before imprisonment
- 30% of women in prison lose their accommodation following imprisonment
- Women in the Criminal Justice System are likely to be disproportionately impacted upon by the effects of financial exclusion
Derbyshire Probation will be hosting a one-day working conference to assess the needs of women in the CJS in Derbyshire,and to develop ways forward to jointly address those needs. We hope that you will be able to join us on 1st July to help formulate proposals for partnership action in Derbyshire.
A way forward which recognises the different needs of women in the criminal justice system and promotes an holistic approach to addressing offending.
The day will be structured around workshops looking at crucial issues which impact on women in the criminal justice system followed by an action planning session.
To book a place, please email email@example.com